Friday, December 14, 2012

Computer Screen in a Contact Lens?

Totally hands-free computer screen in your eye?

Jelle De Smet and a team of researchers at Ghent University in Belgium built an LCD screen in a curved contact lens.

To do it, they had to come up with new kinds of "conductive polymers" – and mold them into "a very thin, spherically-curved substrate [surface] with active layers." The Ghent contact lens is a primitive prototype of what's to come.

At first thought this sounds pretty good but the more I think about it the more I wonder if this is a good idea. Technology think-tanks will always be attempting to develop new technologies; but at what expense to society?

A few weeks ago I was enjoying my Grand Slam at the local Denny's and I observed a couple of young women at the table in front of me. From the time they were seated to the time they got their food, they only looked up once from their smart phones to order lunch. And when the lunch was served, it seemed difficult for them to overt their eyes from the phones to eat. Finally I noted the women were now speaking to each other.

Distracted driving while texting is a nationwide issue at this time. Can you imagine how distracting streaming video to the eye would be? I can see it now; drivers bobbing & weaving all over the road and into the nearest tree while enjoying the latest Harry Potter flick. I suppose we are looking at the wrong problem. It's not the texting and talking causing the problem but our antiquated transportation system. I wonder if the new contact lens/computer screen can be programed to turn off when it gets near a car; or visa versa.

The negative impact on our society, is that many forms of electronic communication put too much distance in interpersonal relationships. Many would argue the technology is bring people together. In some ways that is true. But good ole fashioned face-to-face communication is becoming just that; old fashioned.

I know this might sound funny coming from someone who has been in Telecommunications all her life, but a line needs to be drawn between the use of electronic devices and direct communication.

I'll get off my soap box now...


Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/this-screen-that-fits-on-your-eye-foretells-the-end-of-the-smartphone-era-2012-12#ixzz2F2C8UNli

No comments: